My friend sent me this e-mail and I've decided to check on it's credibility since I'm an active facebook user. As I expected, the possibility that this e-mail's a HOAX is high. Yes. I think it's another HOAX just like the previous hotmail chain letter which I refused to send, knowing it couldn't be true ( and my hotmail account has not been deleted after years of deleting that e-mail. XD)
Attention all Facebook users
Facebook is recently becoming very overpopulated,
There have been many members complaining that Facebook
is becoming very slow.Record shows that the reason is
that there are too many non-active Facebook members
And on the other side too many new Facebook members.
We will be sending this messages around to see if the
Members are active or not,If you're active please send
to 15 other users using Copy+Paste to show that you are active
Those who do not send this message within 2 weeks,
The user will be deleted without hesitation to create more space,
If Facebook is still overpopulated we kindly ask for donations but until then send this message to all your friends and make sure you send
message to show me that your active and not deleted.
Founder of Facebook
Mark Zuckerbe
I google search the name "Mark Zuckerbe" and found some pretty interesting answers from other facebook users to prove that this e-mail is just a HOAX. I couldn't agree more with the following answers I got from Yahoo!Answers:
First off, if it was real, they would send it themselves to everyone from FACEBOOK, and not someone claiming to be the creator of Facebook. Second, they misspelled the guy's name. The ACTUAL creator of Facebook is named Mark Zuckerberg, not Mark Zuckerbe. I highly doubt he would misspell his own name! Also, there are typos all over the place. They used the wrong form of "you're" in the last sentence. They said your, when it's actually correct to say, you're, plus numerous other errors all over. I don't think an official message would have that many typos! Also, it's VERY apparent when someone isn't using their facebook, and no one goes over these by hand. There are way too many accounts for that. A computer does it automatically. A computer records every login and logout and time online, not to mention EVERY action you make on facebook, so sending a message regardless of what it says is the same as doing any other action on facebook. No one is reading your messages. There is actually protocol that after a certain amount of inactive time (I believe one year) your account will automatically be deleted. Also, facebook is one of the single most popular (and thus well-funded) websites in the entire world. They have no problems getting server space. Hope this clears that up!
Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818144215AAEgOAX
Another useful points worth of considering:
1. Would facebook clear its users when one of the main factors of its revenue would be the number of users? As an entrepreneur, facebook would never delete a profile of a person (I would presume), with a belief that he/she may wish to restore its activity (who may have interrupted the activity of his/her activity due to different, reasonable excuses: vacation to an inhabited island :), some reason which would cause temporary inability to use computer or internet, like illness, abstention from using social networks because it distracts your schedule too much, and even ones who would try to stop using just to see whether their profile would be removed.). Would Facebook unjustly violate the hopes of these people, who, returning after their journey, or discharged from the hospital, find, or better, will not find their profiles at their habitual place. Would Facebook risk to damage its image, its pocket, referring only to a repletion of its servers?
2. Wouldn't facebook use more trustworthy mean of communication on such an IMPORTANT matter, like sending message to users' Inbox directly by the Company and not using a chain letter system (I'm not IT specialist, but relying on my general knowledge I can assume this is possible)? They should know that any user's reasonable mind would find such content suspicious and would be in a state of hesitation, so they would use other, more appropriate and more reliable mean to deliver this kind of notification.
3. Social networks have, as one of their misisons, an aim to spread by attracting more users. How can they justify a slowdown of its functioning by overcrowding when overcrowding IS their entreprenual purpose. This construction of sentence looks more like an anti-commercial or a way of backbiting by its competitor/s.
Also, would Facebook use such the unprofessional grammatical structure with obvious punctuation marks missing, and sign at the end as "Creator of Facebook" which for many may sound a little haughty?
Answering these questions would push you to a more confident side, which would suggest that the message is a spam. But you take the final decision...
Sincerely,
Ahmed -- a rare user of Facebook.
Source: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=20531316728&topic=6616
Obviously, it's a HOAX, isn't it? So Please...check out on an e-mail's credibility before forwarding it, okay? Don't give unnecessary false alarms. It's really just a waste of time and energy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment