Definition of Chinese Banana:
Urban Dictionary- An Asian-American who has lost their heritage. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chinese+bananas
Wiktionary- (mildly pejorative, slang) A person, especially a woman, of Asian descent, especially a Chinese American, who has assimilated into Western culture or married a Caucasian.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/banana
The Racial Slur Database- An Asian-American who has lost their heritage. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.
http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html
goingbananas.org- Banana, in the unlikely event that you’re not aware of its new metaphorical meaning, describes Asians (not necessarily Chinese, I think) who culturally are no longer exclusively Asian. Having absorbed an unspecified degree of the culture known as European for want of a better word, they are said to be, like the banana , yellow on the outside and white on the inside.
http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:0DDNxknUAaEJ:www.goingbananas.org.nz/PDF/IB_Brians_Column.doc+definition+of+banana+chinese&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=59
Now, see the above criteria and tell me, Which part of definition above describes ME as a Chinese banana?! I'll argue with anyone who said I'm a banana because:-
1. I'm NOT an Asian American nor Chinese American.
2. I did NOT lost my heritage.
3. I'm NOT really assimilated into the Western culture. I read Chinese books (mostly by Jin Yong 金庸 which uses Traditional Chinese), read Chinese newspapers, listen to Chinese songs, watch Chinese dramas and most importantly SPEAK Mandarin (it's my mother tongue and I can say I'm quite fluent in Mandarin. Yes! More fluent than English!)
So tell me why you think I'm a banana? If I am one, then you are too!!!
My roommate said I'm half a banana because I have better knowledge of English. What the heck! If I'm a banana because of THAT then everyone IS a BANANA because everyone knows English (including you)!
She then pointed out my English is better than her so I'm a banana and she's not. Okie...Although my English is better than her but her English is better than somebody else. So can I say she is also a banana too?! Can I?!
If I'm a banana just because I'm taking English course, then what am I before I take this course? Would YOU say YOU ARE a banana too because you study English in your primary and secondary school?!
Yes, I'm not from Chinese primary school. So what? I can still speak Mandarin fluently! My sister is NOT from Chinese primary school too but her Chinese is BETTER than those from Chinese school. If those who are not from Chinese school can beat those from Chinese school, would you still call them Banana? So call yourself a banana! It's a shame! Mandarin has always been my mother tongue. So if I can speak Mandarin fluently and still being called a banana, then what are you? Also a Banana?!!
I'm a banana because I read lots of English books? YOU WATCH A LOT OF ENGLISH MOVIES TOO!!
Obviously, I am NOT a Chinese Banana! Mandarin has always been my mother tongue. In fact, I think it's quite RUDE to call people a banana. I've never been called a banana before I came to UTAR. I don't know why I AM consider one here in PJ. Think for yourself! I'm of NO difference from you all! If I am a banana, then SO ARE YOU!!!
*Yes! I'm quite pissed off while writing this blog!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
oh sayang my dear nini!!muacks!!dun angry dun angry..breath ..breath...wrinkles come out lo...
well,let them say la,its their mouth,you willn prove it one day(now u proveed edi mah..)..=)
Actually I dun mind ppl saying tat if it's true but even when I've said so much and have proven well I'm not one, she's kinda like u know...tak puas hati and kept on saying I'm one. *roll eyes*
haha...great post ya jing yi...
well,definitely u r nt banana..
banana is for those who r chinese,but dunno how to speak and read chinese...and look down chinese...
So,u r not...haha...cool down gal...
Is that you, waiseng??? Cheers for visiting my blog!!
Dunno what's wrong with me that day..I'm getting too agitated for something like this! :P
Hey Jeannie
What's in banana that offends you? I mean, come on, banana or not banana, does it matter? After all, you believe what you believe in, right?
The way I see it is, if you think you are banana, you are, and vice versa. Bottom line is, Asian got Asian face, and in this society, that is pretty much about it.
This is an article in my forum, just check out the title, it's pretty ironic:
http://www.whaapa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15
So really, does it matter to be banana or not? Asians are read as Asians no matter where you are from, what you do, where you go.
WAKAKAK! I get the same treatment too. This is what my room mate refer to as "banana discrimination". You are actually discriminated for being good in English. I am almost a pure banana, can't speak Mandarin well.
They are just jealous of us, LoL~
Post a Comment