I went for a workshop last Sunday. I can't say I agree with everything the lecturer said but I do like how he uses this traditional Malay song to remind us not to blame others for being lazy or for what happen to us. According to him, when something undesirable turns out, it is due to what we have done. It is not because of others. So, "Stop Bangau-ing!!"
I sound like him now. XD
Okie...Now about the song. I remember singing this song when I was in primary school. I remember how I need to catch my breath every time I sang this super long song. I remember trying to catch up with the Malay words. But now I come to think of it, it's actually a very nice song.
Notice that the lyrics portray how everyone is blaming each other for something that does not turn out as what they want it to be. I think that's the reason the lecturer take this song as a reminder for all of us to "Stop Bangau-ing". Yea...remember that!
Bangau Oh Bangau
bangau oh bangau,
kenapa engkau kurus?
macam-mana aku tak kurus,
ikan tak mahu timbul - ikan tak mahu timbul
ikan oh ikan,
kenapa engkau tak timbul?
macam-mana aku nak timbul,
rumput panjang sangat - rumput panjang sangat
rumput oh rumput,
kenapa engkau panjang?
macam-mana aku tak panjang,
kerbau tak makan aku - kerbau tak makan aku
kerbau oh kerbau,
kenapa tak makan rumput?
macam-mana aku nak makan,
perut aku sakit - perut aku sakit
perut oh perut,
kenapa engkau sakit?
macam-mana aku tak sakit,
makan nasi mentah - makan nasi mentah
nasi oh nasi,
kenapa engkau mentah?
macam-mana aku tak mentah,
api tak mahu menyala - api tak mahu menyala
api oh api,
kenapa engkau tak mahu menyala?
macam-mana aku nak menyala,
kayu api basah - kayu api basah
kayu oh kayu,
kenapa engkau basah?
macam-mana aku tak basah,
hujan timpa aku - hujan timpa aku
hujan oh hujan,
kenapa timpa kayu?
macam-mana aku tak timpa,
katak panggil aku - katak panggil aku
katak oh katak,
kenapa panggil hujan?
macam-mana aku tak panggil,
ular nak makan aku - ular nak makan aku
ular oh ular,
kenapa nak makan katak?
macam-mana aku tak makan,
memang makanan aku - memang makanan aku!!!
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
A flamingo just passed by ur blog and dropped a comment here. :P
Thank you for the lyrics. Been looking for it. Two weeks ago I was looking for Ayam dan Lapeh it's there within a couple of clicks!
Looking for Bangau because of curiosity about Malay beliefs.
The song justifies not doing anything as you suggested and correctly the response is "stop moaning!" and feeling sorry for yourself.
But this is about also FATALISM. Accept whatever! Of course through the ages there have been Malays who did not accept. As a society, there are many things we do to people when they don't accept. You can imagine!
You may like to check out Wiki on FATALISM H E R E !
Ribuan terima kasih!
You're welcome, Salak! ^_^
And I couldn't agree with you more about fatalism. Maybe it's not just for Malays but many Malaysians hold on to this belief.
I've put Ayam dan Lapeh on my Blog.
It's H E R E !
You might already have it! But the Angklung Band on the video I've found plus Siti's version of it, are great!
Thanks again!
Post a Comment