Friday, December 26, 2008

Wrist Ganglion Cyst

Just realize I've been writing blogs every day. Those who only read my blog once in a while should find it hard to keep up with me. :P This tells you if you want to know how have I been, then visit my blog as often as you can! lol!

Today's blog is more on the medical field. Why medical field? Because I just went for a check up on my wrist this afternoon. There's a lump at the back of my wrist and it seems to be getting more and more obvious.

It's scary when you step into a clinic. I'm a little scared especially when I think of last time when I found a lump (it grew twice) and had 2 minor operations to have them removed. The first operation the doctor gave me local anesthesia (I was awake the entire procedure) and in the second operation, the doctor only gave me tranquilizer or whatever it is called to calm me down during the operation.

This time I went to see the very same doctor, Dr. Hew. He asked whether the lump I removed last time regrow and I replied no. (I was horrified later on to learn that I have to go for another check up 1 1/2 years later). I showed him the lump at the back of my wrist. He pressed it at every angle, asked me a few questions (is it painful? how long has it been there? etc.) and asked us not to worry. He explained the lump is probably due to a leak of the fluid from within the joints (synovial fluid), forming a balloon like sac at the back of the wrist.

He explained more, making sure we understand what it is about but anyway, I still look it up in the internet and found some infos in different websites:


Looks small when I didn't bend my hand


The lump's clearer from side view and when I bend my hand.


What is it?
In the hand, a ganglion is a particular type of lump which shows up next to a joint or a tendon. Inside, it is like a balloon filled with a thick liquid. It may be soft or hard, may or may not be painful, and may get bigger or smaller on its own (mine is getting bigger). It may also be referred to as a mucous cyst, a mucinous cyst or a synovial cyst. Ganglion cysts are not cancerous (Phew!), will not spread, and while they may grow in size, they will not spread to other parts of your body.

Cause
  • Normally, joints and tendons are lubricated by a special liquid which is sealed in a small compartment. Sometimes, because of arthritis, an injury (I have a feeling mine is due to an injury), or just for no good reason, a leak occurs from the compartment. Now, the liquid is thick, like honey, and if the hole is small, it can be like having a pinhole in a tube of toothpaste - when you squeeze the tube, even though the hole is small and the toothpaste is thick, it will leak out - and once it is out, there is no way it can go back in on its own. It works almost like a one way valve, and fills up a little balloon next to the area of the leak. When we use our hands for normal activities, our joints squeeze and create a tremendous pressure in the lubricating compartment - this can pump up a balloon leak with so much pressure that it feels as hard as a bone.
  • The lubricating liquid has special proteins dissolved in it which make it thick and also make it hard for the body to absorb it when it has leaked out. The body tries to absorb the liquid, but may only be able to draw out the water, making it even more thick. Usually, by the time the lump is big enough to see, the liquid has gotten to be as thick as jelly.
Symptoms
Because the fluid-filled sac puts pressure on the nerves that pass through the joint, some ganglion cysts may be painful (I feel the pain before I saw the lump. In fact, when I discovered the swelling, the pain has subsided) . Large ganglia, even if they are not painful, are unattractive. Smaller ganglions that remain hidden under the skin (occult ganglions) may be quite painful.

A ganglion grows out of a joint, like a balloon on a stalk. It rises out of the connective tissues between bones and muscles. Inside the balloon is a thick, slippery fluid similar to the fluid in your joints. Usually, the more active the wrist, the larger the cyst becomes (and my lump is getting bigger. Maybe I put too much pressure on it). With rest, the lump generally decreases in size.

Will the cyst go away?
Sometimes, wrist ganglion cysts go away with no treatment, most of the time they linger around or even grow larger. Some cysts form a type of one-way valve such that fluid enters the cyst easily, but cannot escape. When the ganglion cyst becomes large enough, it will begin to put pressure on surrounding structures. This pressure can cause painful symptoms, and is usually the reason these ganglion cysts are removed.

Treatment

  • Wait and watch. (this is what Dr. Hew suggests)
  • "Over the counter" non-steroidal anti inflammatory medication (NSAID), such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn, or ketoprofen. Check with pharmacist regarding possible side effects and drug interactions.
  • Some people, following non-medical advice, will smash the lump with a heavy book (Ouch!), and rupture the cyst. (not recommended). The lump can come back even if it has been successfully treated this way. The urban legend regarding this traditionally involves using a Bible as the book, leading ganglions to be called "Giddeon's disease" in some circles.
  • Immobilization. Provide a variety of hand splints to support the area. Activity often causes the ganglion to increase in size. This is because activity increases pressure on nerves, causing pain. A wrist brace or splint may relieve symptoms, letting the ganglion decrease in size. As pain decreases, your doctor may prescribe exercises to strengthen the wrist and improve range of motion.
  • Aspiration. Drain the cyst with a needle and possibly inject the area with cortisone. This works much better for cysts coming from the tendon than those coming from joints. (Doctor mentioned this. But he still suggests we wait because even if we drain the cyst, it might still grow back)
  • Perform surgery to remove the cyst and clean out the area where the cyst comes from. (heard that it's gonna hurt. Not sure if it's this surgery or aspiration but I suppose it's surgery that hurts)
What happens if you have no treatment?
  • Painful cysts may be painful because of underlying problems other than a simple cyst. Although uncommon, pain associated with a ganglion may be due to underlying arthritis, bone tumor, ligament injury or fracture.
  • Cysts can extend into the underlying bones and cause other types of problems.
  • Cysts on the back of the end joint of the finger (mucus cysts) may gradually thin and weaken the overlying skin, allowing liquid to drain out but also allowing bacteria to enter the joint, sometimes causing a serious infection.
Sources:
http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw013.htm
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/handwristsurgery/a/wristganglion.htm
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00006

Hope the lump won't inflict any pain! I seriously don't ever want to step into the operation room again nor I ever want to see needles stuck on my hand!!

47 comments:

ViViEnNe said...

nini...=( omg...why like that de....haiz..we both so kesian....actually i reli do felt sth on the same place as urs(the previous one) bt i dun wanna go check...i think u understand wat i meant rite?haiz...let me die la =x

amy2kyo said...

Aww Nienieeee!! What happened?? Pity you.. Must take care k..

Ganglion cyst is rather common among youngsters lah, esp ppl like us always on the mouse/keyboard..

But sigh, kena on you.... must extra take care k... :)

jeannie said...

viv: I'm still ok with it as long as it's not painful. You better go for check up if u feel something. Even if the diagnosis is positive, it will probably be non-cancerous. Just go for check ups,ok?

amy: cyst or not, I'll have to move all those heavy stuff to my new house. It'll probably grow larger. Dunno..let's wait and see.

Ganglion cyst should be quite common since I found lots of discussions on it in different websites and forums.

ViViEnNe said...

dun wan...dun wan...dun wan...=(

jeannie said...

vivien, go and check 1st. It might not be as u think. But seriously, the surgery is not as painful as I thought. It's painful, yes, but not as painful as I imagine it to be. I can even walk immediately after the surgery. You might not even have to go through the surgery. Just go and check 1st,k? belum check mana tahu apa masalah?

SueSin said...

Hey Vivienne just go and check lah why r u so degil haha!

SueSin said...

btw jeannie, u gone back to pj to move to your new house? new year new house!

jeannie said...

yep! just moved. Went to do a bit of cleaning on 31 dec. Didn't even have time and energy to count down.

1/1 morning I moved all my stuff over. Now it's still very dirty and disgusting. I suppose we still have lots of cleaning and tidying work to do.

No streamyx in the new house yet so I can't online when I'm there. Back to Kulai now. hehe!

SueSin said...

ok. have fun at home. Iys gonna be 12th jan soon. Cherish the moment at home!

KahJoon said...

urs on ur hand..i had a few cysts on my neck..i was awake when the surgeon cut my neck open..that was a few years back d la..the scars quite hard to find d..the doctor did a good job..when the anaestesia gone d..the pain was like ntg i've ever felt. gosh!!

then there was the time to take out the stitches..i can still remember how it feels to have the doctor pull it out from my skin..eww..the hairs on my neck are standing when i think of it..

i think i need to go under the knife again..there's one new one on my neck..my heels also got 1..damn lah

jeannie said...

I had 2 minor surgeries before but both are bearable. Not really that painful la... but speaking of stitches, I had 3 stitches on my knee when I fell down last time. Really painful. Worse still, it's inflammed because the doctor didn't clean my wound thoroughly. Had a hard time having had to visit the doctor everyday after the inflammation.

Well, good luck with the surgery! Hope we won't have anymore cyst la! Take care!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I wish not agree on it. I over warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.

Anonymous said...

我真的很喜欢你的网站。优秀的内容。请继续发布这样深刻cotent。

Anonymous said...

简单而甜蜜。我想开始另一个博客或五不一会儿,我肯定会考虑这一主题。陪他们来了!

Anonymous said...

显然有很多知道这一点。我想你在某些功能的优点也。继续工作,非常出色!.

Anonymous said...

hey i realize this post was like a couple years ago, not sure if you've gone for surgery for your cyst, but i highly recommend it, i had the exact same thing, same spot, same size,it would become very painful whenever i seemed to use my wrist alot, and i was only able to bend my wrist about 50% of it's full potential.. i had it removed about 8 years ago, but it did grow back about a year after, which is actually uncommon, but possible. I had it removed a second time, both surgeries were easy, very little pain and they give you tylenol 3s to deal with that, quick recovery....and my scar is hardly noticable..if you're worried about that! anyway, i just wanted to share my experience with you if you are still dealing with your cyst!

jeannie said...

谢谢大家喜欢这篇post. 当中的内容大多属于我在网络上找到的内容而不是我自己编的。你们也可以参考别的网站或者其他书来得到更多的资料。^^

Dear friend, I have not gone for any surgeries because it seems to have recovered. The swelling is gone and so is the pain. Of course it doesn't mean that the swelling is not going to return again. But since it doesn't affect me much, I don't need to worry about it yet. Glad to know a bit more about how the surgery was like. Feel free to share more of your experiences when you're free. ^^

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. Do you mind if I ask what your source is for this information?

jeannie said...

Hi there. Thanks for your compliment! ^^
Actually I did put my source in the post but just in case you missed it, here there are:
Sources:
http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw013.htm
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/handwristsurgery/a/wristganglion.htm
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00006

Anonymous said...

tres interessant, merci

jeannie said...

Thank you too for visiting my blog. Merci aussi. (Hope I have the correct translation :P)

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at jeanniecjy.blogspot.com.

May I use some of the information from your blog post right above if I provide a backlink back to this website?

Thanks,
Alex

jeannie said...

Hi Alex,
Yes, you may do so but as most of the information above were taken from other websites, do remember to cite those sources (sources were stated at the bottom of this post). I don't think any of us would want to be liable for copyright infringement, do we? ;)

Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at jeanniecjy.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Cheers,
Harry

jeannie said...

Dear Harry, are you sure the links are down? I tried the links just now and they are working fine. Maybe you would like to try again. ^^

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing this link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at jeanniecjy.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Cheers,
Peter

Anonymous said...

Going through this post, its my sincere feeling that you own the precise knoeledge of what are you talking about.I seriously wish to applaud you for zeal for the work you own that has helped you stand today on this height.Genuinely,there has not been even once that I have visited your post and went without acquiring some good knowledge.Get Going.And yes i have tweeted your site jeanniecjy.blogspot.com .

jeannie said...

Dear Peter, the links are working for me so I'm not sure why is that there are so many people who said the links are not working. Maybe you can copy the address and google search those? Hope it helps.

Dear friend,
thanks for your compliment although I'm not sure how to address you. Thanks for visiting my blog too. I'll try to bring more informative posts for you guys but not now since I'm too busy at the moment to update my blog or renovate it. Anyway, do drop by from time to time. You are most welcome here. ^^

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am really delighted to find this. Good job!

jeannie said...

Thank you. Hope the information will be useful to u. ^^

Anonymous said...

真棒信息,感谢许多作家的文章。这是可以理解我现在的有效性和重要性是令人难以置信。再次感谢你,祝你好运!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on possessing definitely one among one of the sophisticated blogs Ive arrive throughout in some time! Its just wonderful how a lot you’ll have the ability to think about away from a thing basically simply because of how visually beautiful it is. Youve place collectively an amazing weblog site area –great graphics, films, layout. That is actually a must-see web site!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am definitely delighted to find this. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Yes, really.

Anonymous said...

Ich wollte so etwas auf meiner Webseite zu veröffentlichen und dies gab mir eine Idee. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

I want to alter one-way links together with your world-wide-web website is this probable?

jeannie said...

Dear anonymous, may I know what kind of one-way links do you want to alter?

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: I would like to thank you for the efforts youve got produced in writing this article. I am hoping the same finest operate from you inside the potential also. Actually your creative writing skills has inspired me to start my personal BlogEngine weblog now.

jeannie said...

Dear brinkka2011, thanks for your support and all the compliments that you gave. I'm glad that my article has inspired you to start your own blog. Rather than saying I inpire you, perhaps, it's the other way round. Compliments from the readers always give me the energy I need to write on. Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy writing your own blog too. Happy writing! ^^